Catalogue of the Relics, Souvenirs, and Curios
Associated with the Pioneers of Utah

The Hall of Relics

When this Jubilee celebration was determined upon, to mark the advent of the Pioneering companies into these valleys, a natural desire was felt to gather together (for temporary or permanent preservation) the few remaining souvenirs and relics of that remarkable trip, so successfully made fifty years ago, by remarkable men and women.

The acting Governor and Legislature of the new born State, the City of Salt Lake, the Church, large firms and private individuals have vied with each other in providing the means and suggesting features in harmony with the spirit of local enthusiasm, patriotism and appreciation.

One of the most striking manifestations of this interesting occasion, is the gathering together of the veterans themselves and making them the guests of the appointed Commission; many of those are gray and scarred by the experiences forced upon them in reclaiming and colonizing the sterile valleys of Utah; the great majority of  €˜47ers have been  €˜gathered to the fathers' yet near seven hundred will kindle anew the ashes of memory during their visit to the Capital and City they founded in the harsh days of poverty yet of hope and labor, when they laid the corner stones and built the foundation of a grand and now prosperous state.

The Hall of Relics will be one of the rallying points for these brave, if feeble men and women, here they will look upon the few simple yet precious reminders of that memorable experience, and some may donate, (while the cool shadows of life are hovering around them( those sacred things to the State which has grown from the seed and tillage of fifty years ago.

The building (as is known) is a partial duplication of that famous historic relic of a golden age, "the Parthenon at Athens;" here in the so-called New World, it brings into conjunction the Ancient and the New Civilization, it awakens in the religious mind, the possibilities, that Paul the great champion of original Christianity must have gazed upon the sublime architecture of that inspiration edifice, where perchance the echoes of his great oration on Mars Hill (near by) may yet linger as the memory of a prolific, suggestive and glorious past. Contrast between the casket and the contents may seem somewhat out of harmony, but no housing can equal to the owners or to coming history, the value of the "fragments," whose every particle tells its own immortal story, the story of a journey where all superfluous things were denied transit, for teams were precious, the journey an enigma, and life itself at stake; wonder it is, that so many survived the crucial temptation to  €˜lighten up,' as the weary miles extended into hundreds, and the barriers of the eternal hills made bloodstained, weary feet, while the days and months rolled by.

This simple catalogue is "a Volume," further comment would be misplaced, it is commended to the reader, the student, and the curious as a guide to what there is in the building aptly designated as the Hall of Relics.

Spencer Clawson, Chairman of the Semi-Centennial Commission

The Building  €“ Its Exterior
Many queries have been made in regard to the building itself; the Greeks were the founders or elaborators of three of the orders of architecture, the Doric, the Ionic and the Corinthian. The Hall of Relics is a shadow of the most perfect of the Doric style in existence. It stood originally as the Temple of Minerva at Athens, having been built 438 years before Christ; it was built of white marble, but time, war, and iconoclasts have so ravaged its glories that only a portion of the façade remains. Considerable of its ruins can be found, particularly in the British Museum and similar institutions in other countries; all the elaboration of color, painting, sculpture, etc., which were part of the old structure, is beyond any reproduction, and yet all architects of today turn to those classic days and use, (sometimes incongruously,) the elements of style in combination or modification for every famous or magnificent work.

Enquiry is also prolific as to the two couchant figures which appear to guard the entrance of the edifice. The name given to them is that of Griffins, but this is a misnomer, the Griffin proper is mentioned in history near 600 years before Christ. It was a fabulous creature, a creation of the brain, having as all other such things, a meaning more or less known, particularly to the initiated; of this semi-ideal character, was the ornamentation of the Tabernacle and Temples of Israel, of which the cherubims were a famed example and the Israelitish tribal banners were another illustration.

The Griffin figures in English heraldry quite largely, its most common form is that of an animal having the body and legs of the lion, with the beak and wings of the eagle, and ears of especial prominence. This combination represents (in an allegory) the elements of strength, swiftness and watchfulness.

The figures in question, however, embody more of the features of the Egyptian Sphinx, which is of the Griffin order. These monster figures are familiar to all readers; and illustration has given non-readers some familiarity also, save as to their meaning. The Sphinx of Theban had a lion's body, a female head, bird's wings, and a serpent's tail. The present figure is doubtless Grecianized; the impassive, stolid, sightless Sphinx of Egypt, in Grecian or modern representation is a lovely, animated face, Grecian in type, (for the Greeks were devotees of human beauty), and so symbolizing strength, beauty and progress, and it may be agreed to call this ideal mythological creation "The Grecian Sphinx," although it represents in great part American ideals also, for these are a reproduction of those seen amid that dream of beauty and architectural glory, the late great "World's Fair" of Chicago.



One of two figures that flanked the Hall of Relics.

On the pedestal is a cast from Dallin's famous and successful price winning statue, "The Signal of Peace," the original is municipal property, and graces the grounds of the Lincoln Park, near Chicago; it is fitting that this Utah boy should be here represented in this way, on the anniversary of the Pioneers and by the Hall of Relics, whose unpretentious things tell or prophesy of what may come from humble beginnings; how genius may light its fires amid supposition's darkness, or as the Poet had it, "Great trees from little acorns spring," for the Angel Moroni of the Temple as well as the monument to Brigham Young and the Pioneers are by the same artist, the latter of classic outline, symmetry and beauty shows the same soul, the same heart, the same creative fancy and power as does the striking statue called "The Signal of Peace."

The Eagle which crowns the structure is a duplicate of the one on Eagle Gate, near President Young's late residence; the original was carved from native wood in early days by Mr. Ralph Ramsey, a gifted Northumbrian, who is now a denizen of Arizona.

Eagle standing on a beehive that rests on the top of the Hall of Relics.

Exception has been taken to the national bird occupying this position, it may only be said that it is seeming to appropriate to itself by industry (of which the bee hive is the emblem) all that is good within the reach of its strong and mighty wings.

The names of historic explorers and discoverers are placed upon the eastern frieze of the cornice, the famous Indian Chiefs of Utah on the northern frieze, while the Pioneer ox team fills the pediment in front. Altogether, the building is a triumph even if temporary, and does wonderful credit to the projectors of the Semi-Centennial Commission.

Dallin's Signal of Peace.

The Relics

Many things centered here were owned by and associated with President Brigham Young; they are not estimated as of more intrinsic or ideal value than the relics owned and revered by his humblest follower of the Pioneer band; while less individuality may innure to the latter, the impress of the former was undisputably broader and deeper than the others. The clustered relics repose for the time being in mute yet suggestive unity, as the earthly remains of both leader and led will mingle in the embrace of mother earth till that great "restoration of all things spoken of by the prophets since the world began."

The history of things, is so inseparably interwove with the history of men that deductions com almost as spontaneously from one as the other, and the most advanced nations cherish with semi-idolatry any and everything which reflects or indicates the same characteristics or circumstances of their illustrious or immortal ones.

Mount Avernon is enshrined in the hearts of patriots because Washington's dust is there; Utah is glorified in the name and works of Brigham Young and the Pioneers; this generation possesses their record without waiting for the exhumation by Archeologists, and modern facilities and methods will preserve for ages, as in an open book, those primitive belongings which tell of sacrifice and poverty, of struggle and self-denial as fully as the remains of past antiquity tell of wealth, luxury, effeminacy and decay.

The gathering of relics it will be seen is something more than "a fad," it is imbedded in human nature and is the outflow of sentiment; the mother cherishes the tiny shoes of her babe which sleeps in death, the religionist, devout in faith, thinks a small remnant of "the cross" a treasure beyond the reach of gold, and all memories of affection, reverence and honor cling to the silent reminders of things which perish in the using, and like their owners finally return to original dust.

The State will no doubt zealously care for and preserve the relics committed to its care, while those prized by families more than gold, will be transmitted from generation to generation by those whose fathers were pioneers and whose relics are the stubborn evidences of an unselfish life.

List of Relics

Iron fence used in President Young's Office. (Made from wagon tire)

Special Cabinet. (Right of entrance.) Personal Effects of President Brigham Young

Full Suit,

Scottish Keepsake, (Book)

Shoulder Cape,

2 Beard Covers,

Chittum Wood Box,




Doctrine and Covenants, (Profusely annotated)



Finger Ring, presented in England

Masonic Ring (Early California Gold)

Watch made to order in England,

Masonic Pin with Compass and Square,

Sugar Tongs, Hat, last worn by the President

Bracelet of President's Hair mounted in Cal. Gold

Opera Glass, Tea Strainer and Cup,

Carpet Valise used on first mission to England

Silver Table Spoon made in Salt Lake City

Button Hook,


Tooth Pick,

Shirt Studs,

Pair Fine Boots,

Pair Home-made Hose,

Dinner Bell of the Mansion,

Water Bed Warming Pan.

Telegraph Key used by President Young to send First Telegraph Message across the Continent.

Special Cabinet. (South Side.) Ladies' Work

Fine White Silk Dress, (Probably Chinese) 1847.

Large Bed Spread, (Materials carded, spun and wove in 1844).

Coverlid, (Material carded, spun and wove in 1840).

Bed Spread, (Made in Missouri 1847, Mrs. Lane).

Quilt, (Elizabeth Leaney) 1836.

White Coverlet, made by Mary A. Harmon, who corded, spun and wove the same in 1827. Mrs. J.B. Evans, City.

Piece Calico, (explanatory).

Table Cover by Minnie Smoot.

Piece Needle Work, 1830, Mrs. Lemon King

Hand Bag, 100 years old.

Piece Embroidery.

Piece Embroidery, 100 years old.

Shoulder Shawl, contributed by Robert F. Turnbow.

Little Coat, carded, spun, colored, woven and made in 1831 for Dr. Meeks when one year old by his mother, now ninety-four years old.

Floor Case. Curios and relics. A.

Piece of Fringe from Kirtland Temple contributed by H.G Whitney

Evening and Morning Star, Independence, Edited by W.W. Phelps, contributed by Ammie Jackman.

First Volume of Deseret News, 1850, in a good state of preservation. Contributed by Heber Young.

One half Doz. Jubilee Cups, courtesy of Joslin & Park.

Number of "Times and Seasons," Published in Commerce, Ill, 1839

Cup owned and used by Willard Richards, contributed by Mrs. Aird.

President Kimball's Gold Watch and Spectacle Case

Crock, (unique), made by President Heber C. Kimball in early days.

Judge Phelps Almanacs of 1853 and 1854, (very choice,) contributed by Ammie Jackson

Joseph Smith's Pocket Book presented by him to J.E. Bernhisel, now owned by T.C. Griggs


Gavel used in the Masonic Lodge of Nauvoo by President Joseph Smith.

Framed Autograph of Joseph Smith, being instructions to obey

Governor Ford's order as to the delivery of arms

Deeds given by Hyrum Smith and wife.

Phelps Almanac 1863

One and a two dollar Kirtland Bank issue.

$5.00 Gold Coin of Utah, owned by Charles Crow.

$5.00 Kirtland Currency, by George Taylor.


Two bullets taken from John Taylor's body after being shot in Carthage Jail.

Sword owned by General Washington presented to an Indian Chief, contributed by Ammie Jackman.

Sword, said to have been Joseph Smith's Cavalry Sword.

Sword, said to have been the Prophet's Dress or Officer's Sword.

Sword, worn by General Charles C. Rich in the Nauvoo Legion.

Sword, (very old).


Field Telescope, owned by President Heber C. Kimball, contributed by Wm. Kimball his son

Pair Epaulettes worn by the Prophet Joseph

Silk Sash, Military, worn by the Prophet Joseph

Epaulettes worn by General C. C. Rich in the Nauvoo Legion.

Daguerotype of General Rich's "Father" of Joseph Rich, grandson of above.

Sun Glass from Rich family.

Ivory writing tablets from Rich family.

Pocket Compass from Rich family.


Cane loaned by James Bird to the Prophet Joseph on his way to Carthage and used in defense by Dr. Willard Richards who was present, contributed by Margaret R. Smith.

Cane made from the coffin in which the Martyrs were taken to Nauvoo, contributed by Carlos L. Sessions.

Cane of the same used by Willard Snow, contributed by his son.

Cane owned and used by Hyrum Smith, contributed by John Smith Patriarch.

Cane carried and used for several years by Bishop Edward Hunter, contributed by J. M. Redman.

Inspector's Cane made in Nauvoo, Joseph S. Hendricks.

Shot of Grape and Cannister (Nauvoo), by H. Hardy, Jun.


Sword worn by Hyrum Smith, by Patriarch John Smith.

Sword carried in Mexican War by N.V. Jones, contributed by his son.

Sword given by Joseph Smith to Jedediah Grant, by him to owner, J.H. Coles

Sword worn by Captain A.E. Dodge.

Bullet which struck William Kimball's saddle when two horses were shot from beneath him in Southern Utah Indian War.


Several copies of "The Prophet," published by Samuel Brannan in New York, 1845. Kindly loaned by President George Reynolds.

"Times and Seasons," four volumes by Miss C.E. Johnson.

Unique Play Bill, (framed) Salt Lake Theatre, February 5 th, 1852.


Old Daguerotypes.

Silver Spoon, R. F. Turnbow.

Vignette Photo of Judge Phelps.

Peepstone (ancient) Judge Phelps.

Stiletto, contributed by Mrs. Susan DeLong.

Door Catch of Old Fort, made from Red Butte Birch, John C. Ensign.

William Kimball's Bullet.

Pair Silver Table Spoons, Philip DeLaMar.

Single Silver Table Spoon, George O. Noble.

Single Silver Table Spoon, Martha V. Price

Single Silver Tea Spoon, J. G. Robinson

Scales and Weights, Sarah A. Pratt.

Buckskin for Gold Dust, Abner Blackburn.

Buckskin for Gold Dust, Abner Blackburn.

Watch and Chain with Coin attached, Leo R. Hollander.

Silver Spoon and Spectacles, R.F. Turnbow

North-East Corner. Furniture from President Young's Old Residence

Bedstead, early made and used for years.

Office Table.

Office Chair.

Office Desk.

Dining Room Table used from 1852 to 1877.

Warming Pan.

Hat Rack, carved by R. Ramsey.

Dining Room Cupboard.

Case No. 1. South Side. Primitive Utah

The Prehistoric relics have been kindly loaned from the Deseret Museum by permission of the Salt Lake Literary and Scientific Association.

No. 1. Two Crystals of Selinite.

No. 2. One Slab containing Ripple Marks, found on the old shore

Lake Bonneville in the region of Escalante Bay, Wayne County, Utah.

No. 3. Piece of Lava containing human footprints from Millard County, Utah.

No. 4. Impression of a Fossil Fish, Manti, Utah.

No. 5. Large Concretion, (ball form) Utah.

No. 6. Slab containing Bivalve and Gasteropod fillings from Emery County, Utah.

No. 7. Sulphur Specimens, by President J. R. Murdock.

No. 8. Official Map of Lake Bonneville.

No. 9. Specimens of Mica from Utah.

No. 10. Specimen of Gilsonite.

No. 11. Specimen of Gilsonite.

No. 12., 13. Specimens Asphaltum, Utah.

No. 14. Slab of Slate from Provo Canyon.

No. 15. Large piece of Ore, (750 pounds) presented by Jesse Knight of Provo, from the Uncle Sam Mne, to the Semi-Centennial Commission. Assays 80 oz. lead, 100 oz. silver.


Case No. 2. Prehistoric Utah . Cliff Dwellers.
Canoe, said to have belonged to Christopher (Kit) Karson, and used on Great Salt Lake when accompanying Fremont's expedition. Found on Lake shore.
Relics from the Cliff Dwellers, San Juan County , Utah .

Nos. 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31. Half dozen Willow Baskets (assorted)

Nos. 32, 33. Basket under which Cliff Dwellers placed bodies for burial.

Nos. 34, 35. Two lots of Sandals made from yucca fibre, from Cliff Dwellilngs.

No. 36. One pair of large or giant Sandals.

No. 37. Large Water Bottle from Cliff Dwellers.

No. 38. Bark Mat on Frame Work.

No. 39. Basket, from Cliff dwellers.

No. 40. Lot of Implements of War.

No. 41. Rattle Snake (ten years old.)

Case No. 3. Modern Indians.

By courtesy of Deseret Museum, etc.

Nos. 51, 52, 53, 54. Indian Water Bottles.

Nos. 55, 56. Indian Leggings, (two specimens.)

No. 57. Head-dress of Indians.

No. 58. Dress worn by the wife of a Sioux Indian.

No. 59. Indians "Pipe of Peace" (Sioux.)

No. 60. Indian Scalp.

No. 61. Water Vessel (Southern Indians.)

No. 62. Basket (Southern Indians.)

No. 63. Indian Mill, with pestle.

Nos. 64, 65. Indian Bow and Quiver for Arrows.

Case No. 4.

No. 76. Roadometer used by the Pioneers of 1848, invented by William Clayton, made by Appleton Harmon.

No. 77. Bugle used by the Pioneer Company.

No. 78. Piece of Tree from Pioneer Planting.

No. 79. Donner Relics from the Western Desert.

Case No. 5.

No. 1. Small Copper Sauce Pan, Lydia R. Stewart.

No. 2. Pewter Dish, J. C. Rich.

No. 3. Fry Pan, H. Charles, Idaho.

No. 4. Large Copper Pan, Lydia R. Stewart.

No. 5. Bake Skillet, Miriam P. Gowan Murray.

No. 6. Iron Tea Kettle, Robert W. Sweeton.

No. 7. Knitting Pins, J. C. Rich.

No. 8. Tongs, Lucy Van Cott.

No. 9. Tongs, Hyrum S. Stevens

No. 10. Wheel Head.

No. 11. Wheel Head.

No. 12. Tin Cannister.

No. 13. Bread Tray, James Oakley.

No. 14. Door Bell

No. 15. Cricket, Lyman W. Porter.

No. 16. Pair Candle Sticks (Pewter.)

No. 17. Snuffers and Tray, Edith E. Pierce.

No. 18. Candle Stick, R. W. Sweeton.

No. 19. Pair Candle Sticks, brass, John D. Park.

No. 20. Candle Stick, brass, R. W. Sweeton.

No. 21. Pair Candle Sticks.

No. 22. Tea Tray, Edith E. Pierce.

No. 23. Hone, Levi Jackman.

No. 24. Pair Hand Irons. (Brigham Young's)

No. 25. Pair Hand Irons, Joseph C. Rich.

Case No. 6.

Gun, James Brown.

Gun, Flint lock, Father Pettigrew.

Gun, John Smith.

Gun, Wm. J. Wright.

Gun, Sidney R. Allred.

Gun, Shadrach Roundy.

Air Rifle.

Rifle found seven feet from the surface, seven years ago, in the Eighth ward, Mrs. Jane Park.

Rifle, Angeline Luddington Bush.

Pistol, owned by Dr. Beers, once owned by Orrin P. Rockwell.

Pistol, Ezra Shoemaker

Pistol, Abner Blackburn.

Pistol, Ammi Jackman.

Pistol, Jeanette Smith, once owned by Elisha Averett.

Bake kettle, extra large, N. K. Whitney

Bake kettle, large, Julia P. Gardner

Bake kettle, medium, Margaret Mitchell.

Bake kettle, Mrs. Roundy.

Case No. 7.

No. 1. Four Planes and Try Square used by William H. Walker in Nauvoo and Salt Lake Temples. Made first panel doors in Salt Lake City.

No. 2. Jointer plane.

No. 3. Brace and three bits, W. H. Walker.

No. 4. Brace used on two Temples.

No. 5. Hammer, Mary Clissold.

No. 6. Hammer, Wm. C. Lewis.

No. 7. Broad Axe, J. W. Pitts

No. 8. Shingle Draw, John R. Lemon.

No. 9. Pair of Journals, Mary S. Savage.

No. 10. Box of Tools, Ammi Jackman.

No. 11. Bear Trap, has caught one hundred bears in Utah.

No. 12. Bowie Knife and Scabbard.

No. 13. Pair of old style Stirrups, Charles Crow.

No. 14. Pair Steelyards one hundred years old, Horace Drake.

No. 15. Pair Steelyards, Emily Everett.

No. 16. Pair Steelyards, Horace Drake

No. 17. Small Axe, Horace Drake.

No. 18. Saw, Willard Snow.

No. 19. Saw, Lydia M. R. Stewart.

No. 20. Saw, Lydia M. R. Stewart

No. 21. Saw, Ammi Jackman

Gun, Amos Neff

Gun, Wm. H. Rowe.

Gun, John C. Stewart.

Gun, Joseph L. S. Allred.

Gun, Capt. A E. Dodge.

One half dozen Battalion Guns and Military Accoutrements.

Case No. 9. The suggestive ornaments of this case are:

Ox yoke of 1847, contributed by E. Huffaker, Cottonwood.

Ox yoke of 1847, Dr. John Riggs, Provo.

Ox yoke, (very ancient and worn.)

A calf yoke, used across the plains, was contributed by H. G. Whitney, having been made originally for Newel K. Whitney.

Leopard skin from South Africa

Ostrich's egg.

Porcupine Quills

Cane from the thorn tree of the tropics, were contributed by Wm. H. Walker

An interesting Relic in this case is the portrait of the oldest living Pioneer, Mrs. Sarah Meeks, born in 1802. This picture was presented to her as a souvenir the present year.


Case No. 10.

Clock contributed by the Rich family, bought in Kentucky, came here in 1847.

One-Day-Clock, contributed by Robt. Sweeton, made in upper Canada.

Clock, owned by the Lambert family, bought in Nauvoo in 1844 running ever since.

Clock, bought by Joseph Rich in Connecticut in 1817



Family Bible, wedding present to Lucy Van Cott from her father.

Two Bibles, owned by Hezekiah Thatcher, contributed by Mrs. Preston.

Bible, owned by Judge Wm. Phelps, contributed by his son Henry.

Bible, with Apochrypha 1637 ( Cambridge University) Mary Gerber.

Kirkham's Grammar.

A few quaint old books.

A Nauvoo Account Book.

Fine Quadrant, J. Robinson.

Land Surveyors' Chain, John R. Lemon.

Surveyors' Compass, John R. Lemon.

Old Box, Mrs. Huffaker.

Drawings, by J. Silver.

Candelabra (Silver) presented to the Theater by President Young.

Tripod, Theatre Properties.

Volume of Salt Lake Theatre Bills (a wonderful collection.)

Four Rolling Pins with individual history.


Case No. 11.

Box Flat Irons, Sarah R. Miller.

Flat Irons with two nails.

Flat Irons, Emily Averett.

Flat Irons, Julia Lardow.

Flat Irons, came from Mississippi, Isabel Horne.

Flat Irons and Tailors' Goose, contributed by J. B. Evans.

Tongs, Mrs. Isabella Horne.

Hone, Mrs. Isabella Horne.

Small Fine Trunk, Mrs. Isabella Horne.

Purse and Measure, brought from England to Canada in 1832.

English Platter, bought in Columbus in 1836, owned by Sarah Mikesell.

English Platter, owned by Mrs. Roundy.

Three Plates, from C. H. Barrell.

Pewter Tea Pot, Mrs. M. Kelly

Silver Tea Pot, J. G. Harwood

Sugar Bowl, Luman W. Porter

Tea Pot, Wm. C. Allen.

Butter Jar, Mrs. Pixton, crossed the Atlantic Ocean six tmes.

Stone Bottle, 71

Sugar Bowl, G. O. Nobles.

Sugar Bowl, G. O. Nobles.


Cream Jug, by Isabella Horne.

Cream Jug, by F. A. Pratt


Case No. 12

A series of interesting relics of 1847 from Mrs. E. C. Broadbent. (Eliza C. Broadbent)

Chopping or Bread Bowl.

Dinner plate, knife and fork.

Brandy and salt bottle.


Bowl, first made in Utah, Amos Neff.

Brown Milk bowl pewter.

Hand bellows, Amos Neff.

Conch shell, used for calling camp together.

Conch shell, small, used for same purpose, Joseph C. Rich.

Old time candles.

Small trunk, (child's), Mrs. Higbee.

Shaving box, home made.

Chopping knife, M. A. Angell.

Piece plug tobacco, (1852), Milton Ellerbeck.

Horse Pistol, Albert Toronto.

Bread Bowl.

Bake Griddle, old.

Flat Iron, Mrs. -------

A rare collection of Domestic Manufactures  €“ Linen, Cotton, Silk, Wool and Wood, by Elvira P. Mills.

Case No. 13. Home Manufacturers.

Silk Dress, presented to the late Eliza Snow Smith, the silk was made and woven in Utah, and its exhibit should prompt to the extension of an industry, whose market is everywhere.

Fife, made from a piece of Hawthorn which grew on the Nauvoo Temple grounds. (See Musical Instruments.)

Hackle and two knots of Flax raised by Geo. Whitaker in 1848.

Two Adobes said to have been made by George Q. Cannon under C. Lambert in 1848.

Child's Bedstead made from an ox yoke by Wm. Foster.

Lot of Tools and Relics of 1847.

Piece of Iron made from wagon tire by James Lawson.

First Cut Nails made in Utah.

Wrought Nails from Church Blacksmith Shop, by D. H. Wells.

Sheet of first paper made in Utah.

Home Spun and Colored Basque, it was worn when the owner, Mrs. Broadbent, danced at a ball with

President Young. The wool was pulled from sheep which died over Jordan.

Pair of Home-Made Socks (Pioneer Times.) E.C. Broadbent.

Frew Primitive Style Candles (Pioneer Times.) E.C. Broadbent.


Ground Floor.

Interesting Relics on the Floor.

Visitors are probably apt to overlook (in their anxiety to scan the cases or cabinets,) some things against which they jostle and move on different parts of the floor, yet they are of equal and quite likely of more supreme interest in connection with the Pioneers.

First and foremost is the wagon used by President Young on that memorable trip, with its mess box still intact. What a story it could tell of vicissitudes and travel, of anxiety and hope, of weary days and broken sleep, to say nothing of the experiences endured since then, here and in Arizona from whence it came for the Jubilee.

With its sister wagon still more dilapidated it is an interesting relic, and every Pioneer will look with reverence on both, for the memory of their illustrious owners, while not a few may wonder how it would have fared with them and Utah, if excessive mental and physical labor had removed The Master Spirit of that eventful time.

No. 1 Wagon and Mess Box used by President Young on the Pioneer Trip and return.

No. 2. The Sleeping Wagon of the same outfit. These are on the Southwest corner of the floor.

No. 3. Near by is the Old Sun-face (not well preserved) from the gable end of the Old Tabernacle, in its time it was both suggestive and beautiful to see.

On the same table will be found three saddles each with its different story.

No. 4. The Side Saddle was used by the young ladies of the Lemon family and all the way across the plains carried in turn its youthful freight to this land of troubled peace.

No. 5. The Kimball Saddle with quite a history was once an expensive thing, it was owned by Col. Thomas L. Kane, of grateful memory, he presented it to its present owner, who used it much in the early days of Indian warfare. Mr. Kimball had two horses shot from under him in those encounters, and a stray bullet flattened against the pommel of the saddle (now in an adjoining show case) tells how near this "Mountain Brave" was from sharing the fate of his highly valued horses.

No. 6  €“ The Horwitzer Saddle tells a different story, it was for mountain use, where artillery could never reach, for dislodging Indians or enemies in ambush would be really effective. It belonged to the valiant Johnson's army of 1858.

The Spinning Wheel and Reel were owned by Aunt Prescinda Kimball and now are part of the Deseret Museum Loan.

The Flax wheel is used among the properties of the Salt Lake Theatre.

On the adjoining table will be found a series of plows all credited with taking a part in breaking the first ground in this Valley for Agricultural purposes.

The Edwin Frost Plow which did the first ploughing, soon gave up its beam to the stubborn soil and shut it almost out of prominence and history where it belongs.

The "Baker" Plow is another relic of the same era with as graphic a history as its well-worn associate.

The Brigham Young College sends, through Brigham Morris Young the owner, a plow surely without a peer. It is made from wagon tire, when iron was more precious than gold.

The Mould Board of William Carter's plow is a prominent and well verified relic of the first historic days of Utah.

The large brass kettle is a veritable relic and doubtless did duty before it came out west.

The large black pot, owned by -------- Stewart, a large-hearted, hale old Scotchman, carries in its stout sides the record of brouse and rare longevity.

The Johnson Pioneer Frontier Printing Press, is a rare exponent of the first western ripples of that mental demand, where now great papers and literature are as indispensable as air and water.

See the Johnson History in extenso on the press itself, in the "Hall of Relics."

First cut Nail Machine ever erected in Salt Lake City---capacity 340 lbs a day. It was made of tire iron about 1845, by A. W. Sabin; run by water power in the Ninteenth Ward of this City. Mr. Sabine also made revolvers out of tire iron and was one of the most capable of the early workers in iron. Presented to the State by George J. Taylor.

Nothing in the Hall of Relics has created so much comment or elicited more enquiry, than the Mammoth maps which are spread on the West and North Walls of the building. Facing, as the visitor enters, is the outlines of "Lake Bonneville" as it existed in the ages long gone by. This prehistoric period belongs to the era of preparation, ere the foot of man had trod the earth, or in part may indicate those great changes in "the days of Peleg when the earth was divided" or those which took place when in the ancient city, Jerusalem, "the vail of the Temple was rent in twain."

On this continent (See Book of Mormon) great convulsions of nature then took place. Mountains were upheaved, valleys were formed or enlarged, and the inland seas, so to speak, were reduced in extent, until all that now remains of those ages of cataclysm and change is the Salt Lake of the present and other small water reservoirs in Southern Utah.

The long level lines which on our mountain slopes indicate the erosion of lashing waves, have arrested the attention of all observant tourists. Individually, they tell of the "subsidence of the waters" at irregular periods, and the ultimate drainage of this stupendous stretch of country, hundreds of miles in length and breadth; when from the now valleys of Utah, through the Great Snake River of Idaho, thence through the Columbia to the Pacific Sea, these primitive waters in turbulent exit announced the speedy appearance of historic man.

The map referred to is amplified from the published map of the Governmental Geographical Survey, begun some years ago.

Pioneer Chairs.

There seems to be a wonderful vitality in some chairs, and it is easy to think that those which endured Western experience and then came across the plains and still survive, typify unmistakeably the characteristics of their venerated owners.

No. 1. President Taylor's chair; been used by many dignitaries, civil and ecclesiastical.

No. 2. Made in Utah (1847) and presented to President Young.

No. 3. Sister Horne's nursing chair (1847), imported, (nursed fourteen children on it.)

No. 4. Made in the old Fort by Levi Jackman.

No. 5. Made for Mrs. J. B. Taylor, in the Old Fort by one of President Taylor's teamsters.

No. 6. Old chair from the carrington family, seat from hide of a cow yoked up all the trip, now owned by Alice Carrington.

No. 7. Chair of 1847 and previous by Homer Duncan.

No. 8. Chair used by Bishop Weiler, now owned by Mary A. Cutler.

No. 9. Chair one hundred years old, owned by the Sessions family.

No. 10. Chair owned by Sarah Mikesell.

No. 11. Chair owned by Judith Higbee, by Mrs. Romney.

No. 12. Uncle Lorenzo D. Young's Chair.

Musical Instruments.

There seems to be a wonderful vitality in some chairs, and it is easy to think that those which endured Western experience and then came across the plains and still survive, typify unmistakeably the characteristics of their venerated owners.

The fine Piano which (while not a relic) graces the center of the Hall of Relics was donated by the Calder Music Co., First South St., to the Commission and will be disposed of by raffle in due time.

The first Mason & Hamlin Organ imported by David O. Calder, founder of the Calder Business, is kindly placed on exhibition by the firm.

The ancient Melodeon loaned by Dr. Darwin Richardson's family, was imported in 1847, there is no room for comment on progress in the musical direction.

The unique upright Hand Organ is owned by our well-known Tabernacle organist, J. J. Daynes, and contrasts wonderfully with that grand organ he manipulates.

The large double bass Violincello was made in this city by Shure Olsen for D. O. Calder, was used in early years in the Social Hall aad Theatre.

A famous bugle is that to be found in case No. 11, it was used in the first company of Pioneers to call the camp to prayers, or for the moving or other exigencies of the trip.

A B flat, tenor trombone in case No. 12, was used in the old Band of Nauvoo is owned by L. W. Tucker.

Two drums occupy positions on the west side. The snare drum went from Winter Quarters with the Mormon Battalion and was returned by Levi Hancock on horseback by the northern route. The sticks were made by Levi Hancock, the drum was repainted by Martin Lenzi and is now owned by Horace Drake, the Drum Major of the first regiment of the Nauvoo Legion.

The large drum was brought from Nauvoo, and is now part of the Theatre properties, it has been reduced in width and repainted by Martin Lenzi; is in use all the time.

Two notable flags occupy space in the foreground; one,the martial band flag of the First Regiment of the Legion in Nauvoo. The second is the Stars and Stripes of 1847. Fifteen stars on the blue field of a circle. Made in the Old Fort during the first winter and called now "The Old Fort Flag."

Large Guns.

The most prominent and famed of these is the "Old Sow" as it has been called, it is a relic of the last war between the mother country and her rebellious daughter and was used in the year 1815 during the defense of New Orleans; it was bought by H. G. Sherwood and shipped thence to Nauvoo in 1844, then to this Valley where its iron throat for many years ushered in and helped to celebrate the anniversaries of the people.

The Long Range and the two field pieces on the outer platform are the character that came in the Pioneer and artillery companies of 1847.

The Pick and Handle owned by H. Standage of this City, was handed by him to President Young for breaking the first ground for today's Temple, then only seen by mental or spiritual eye.

The Route Map.

Probably of more immediate interest to the multitude, is the enlarged outline of the Middle Continent, from the Missouri River to the "Great Salt Lake;" the route of the Pioneers is broadly indicated by a red line, and the prominent points from Winter Quarters all along that line are printed so that the Pioneers may pass again without special weariness, where once with anxious souls and weary, blistered feet so many of them journeyed to the hardly fabled land along the Platte. The points of interest were: The Pawnee Villages, Loup Fork, Fort Kearney, Wood River, North Platte Crossing, Lone Tree, Ash Hollow, Sandy Bluffs, Chimney Rock, Scott's Bluffs, Fort Laramie, Black Hills, Laramie Peak, Alkali Springs, Independence Rock, Sweet Water Crossing, Devil's Gate, Pacific Springs, Little Sandy, Big Sandy, Green River, Fort Bridger, Echo Canyon, Little Mountain, Emigration and Salt Lake.

The Indian Tribes will be remembered with places, and the location of animals as they were seen from time to time, such as Prairie Dogs, Buffalo, Antelope, Mountain Lions, Coyotes and Bear.

Scenes of tragedy and comedy, of hunger or plenty; considerations as to water, wood and "Buffalo Chips" will all return as the red line is traversed by the moistened eye of the veterans (male or female)on their present visit.

Texts innumerable will spring unbidden from the record as it is, and conversation now and hereafter will tell how "the battles of travel were lost and won."

It is to be hoped that after the exercises are over and the Pioneers have gone to their homes again, that every child old enough in this locality, and from all the Schools will be privileged to visit and have pointed out to them the variety of Objects of Interested gathered together in the Hall.

Pictures in the Hall.

Oil Portraits of President Young, President John Taylor and Wife, members of the Rich Family and others, are upon the walls.

George Ottinger, artist, has kindly placed on exhibition a number of oil sketches of signal points on the Pioneer route, they are more than suggestive to both Pioneers and visitors.

C. W. Carter, photographer, exhibits a large variety of local views past and present, some of great value that can never be reproduced, change having obliterated quite a few. Copies are for sale in the Hall.

Prophet Joseph Smith Preaching to the Indians, is a highly meritorious production. It was painted at the instigation of President John Taylor by the gifted artist  €“ Armitage F. R. S. It has been reproduced in Lithograph and is familiar all through Utah, where many of them have been better preserved than the grand original, although it is worthy of a corridor in the Temple or other more conspicuous place.

An Emigrant Train enroute to Utah, by George Ottinger, hangs over the ticket window inside, no doubt most visitors will give this much attention.

The Tabernacle Choir Photographic reproduction is of increasing interest to those who participated, their friends, and visitors generally.

Among the  €˜cute" productions is the grouping of ten young ladies in the costumes of '47, or the early days of their mothers. None other than ------ -------- could have carried out to perfection such a device.

The Little Theatrical Group is an awakener, the "counterfeit presentment" of such familiars as W. C. Dunbar, D. McKenzie, H. B. Clawson, John Lindsay, Phil Margetts, John Hardy, John T. Caine, Henry Maiben, James Ferguson, John Graham, and the lamented Lyne, with such Ladies as Margaret Clawson, Nellie Colebrook, Sarah Alexander and Mrs. Gibson is enough to "make the angels weep" for those palmy Thespian days of yore.

Mess Boxes, Trunks, Etc., Etc.

There appears to be as much longevity attached to these as to the chairs heretofore referred to, for more than a good round dozen can be found in the Hall of Relics.

No. 1. Is President Young's Mess Box of  €˜47-8

No. 2. H. C. Kimball's Mess Box of  €˜47-8, in good condition.

No. 3. Is Joseph Toronto's Sea Chest, brought from Sicily to Nauvoo, and thence to Salt Lake City.

No. 4. Is Willard Snow's Property, was his father's.

No. 5. Is Mrs. Isabella Horne's, came to Canada in 1838, Nauvoo, 1841, Utah, 1847.

No. 6. Is owned by J. Peterson.

No. 7. Is owned by W. Snow.

No. 8. Was owned by D. Drake, is 100 years old.

No. 9. Is owned by Mrs. Mary V. Gillmer

No. 10. Is owned by Epsey Pace.

No. 11. Is owned by Elizabeth Ann Whitney.

No. 12. Was owned by Judith Higbee.

With several small ones these make quite an array, their actual value is little, their ideal value is quite another thing. They have come from many sections of the State and some from outside its limits.

It is regretable that the make up of the Catalogue is somewhat incomplete; while great credit is due to many contributors for their promptitude in seconding the thought of the Semi-Centennial Commission as to the exhibition, many have been dilatory and at the moment of going to press are delivering package after package.

It is impossible to classify these late arrivals or even to give them place in the catalogue, and those loaning them may perchance think that blame attaches to other than themselves.

Most likely additions will be made yet, as promises and offers are numerous now. Other personal relics of the leader, Brigham Young will come to hand. President Taylor's watch, stopped at the hour of the assassination of the Prophet, and General D.H. Wells' sword and flag staff have just come in. Precious as these and other relics are, it would have been more satisfactory could a thoroughly systematized arranging, numbering and listing have been done, however, with "all its imperfections on its head," the Catalogue is submitted as an aid to and an explanation of some of the many things thus collected.

That so many relics are in the hall is surprising, for it must be remembered that fifty years have passed since 1847, that they brought with them only that which was absolutely necessary and not to be dispensed with, then that great feature of moving for local colonization has doubtless worked some destruction; to a few old or antiquated things possess no value and so they are relegated to the lumber room or destroyed without concern.


Battalion Relics.

By the courtesy of James Ferguson, we are favored with a series of Official relics and Documents pertaining to the Mormon Battalion, the official record of organization and travel; general orders, several in number; and the official order signed by I. D. Stevenson through his adjutant for the discharge of the famous corps in Los Angeles, dated July 14, 1846, to take effect July 16, of that year, are all on file.

A letter by Lieutenant Colonel Cook congratulating the Battalion on their arrival on the coast, after the tedious march of over 2,000 miles is included.

If any of the Battalion desire to see those documents they can apply to H. W. Naisbitt at the Hall of Relics. If they have enquired in regard to the history apply to James Ferguson or to the above.


DUP Home 1897 ProgramJubilee MainRelic Hall

Website Terms of Use Agreement || Privacy Policy Agreement || ISDUP Web Publishing Guidelines
Official Website of the International Society Daughters of Utah Pioneers
Copyright 2005- 2011, International Society Daughters of Utah Pioneers. All rights reserved.